Top six triumphant moments from the Luhmühlen CCI4* – Originally posted by Eventing Connect
Sponsored by MD Barnmaster
1) Liz Halliday-Sharp (USA) earning her career first top-10 finish at a four-star. Liz made America proud by finishing in 8th place with Deniro Z. Liz was the only North American rider to complete this event and she did in style aboard a horse that was making his four-star debut. The US selectors will certainly have their eye on this duo for future major games.
2) Tim Lips (NED) and Bayro delivering a flawless 24.10 dressage test. Tim started off his weekend in the number one position by riding a near perfect test. He almost went on to win the entire event adding .8 cross-country time penalties to his dressage score and show jumping a clear. However, he also missed a flag on cross-country resulting in a very costly 50 penalties. This pair are certainly ones to watch at their next big event.
3) Cathal Daniels (IRL) and Rioghan Rua finishing in 7th place with a double clear cross-country round. At only 21-years-old, Cathal was the youngest rider in the field over the weekend. But his age does not reflect his superb riding abilities and he added only two rails to his 33.6 dressage score to finish well inside the top-10. Surely, the Irish selectors will be eyeing this duo for this year’s World Equestrian Games.
4) Laura Collett (GBR) piloting Mr Bass to a 2nd place finish at his first-ever four-star. Although Laura lacks no four-star mileage, this event was the 10-year-old Mr Bass’ first crack at the four-star level. Laura did a superb job riding this freakishly talented horse all throughout the weekend. They finished on their 29.9 dressage score and were the only pair to achieve this fault-free feat.
5) Anna Freskgard (SWE) riding Fly Away v/d N. Ranch to a 10th place finish at their first four-star. Anna was the highest placing rookie four-star rider at this event, bringing home a top-10 finish. She added only 11 show jumping penalties to her 39.3 dressage score. What a dream four-star debut!
6) Jonelle Price (NZL) winning her 2nd CCI4* in a row, this time with Faerie Dianamo. Jonelle has been on fire this season winning Badminton in May aboard Classic Moet and now claiming Luhmühlen. What makes this all the more impressive is she was not competing last year because she gave birth to her first child. This woman has certainly proved that being a mother does not mean you cannot still be one of the world’s top eventers. Making these wins even cooler was the fact both of them were aboard mares. #GirlPower